Sunday, January 18, 2009

Who is YOUR Favorite Baseball Player?

My buddy Ron who is an avid card/memorabilia collector and avid Sox fan posed this question at his Blog Section-36. He is having a difficult time picking one this year, as well, all his favorite players aren't with the team anymore. He is trying to decide who will be HIS player of 2009. So, I figured I would write something about favorite players. So here I go. I will say when it comes to sports, I am a pretty big HOMETOWN boy. This would include the Bruins, Patriots, Celtics and most notably the Red Sox. I want to make it clear I was a fan way before Red Sox Nation ever was coined and actually, I hate the whole Red Sox Nation phenomenon... but that is for another blog.

I have always been ennamored by the likes of Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Jim Rice and others. While growing up I was a big Jim Ed Rice fan. I just liked how when he was up at the plate he never took any cheap swings, he was always trying to crush the ball out to the Mass Turnpike. I remember the 86 World Series as it was yesterday, sitting on the floral love seat my parents use to own in front of the TV in our new house which my parents still live in. I use to always pull for the outfield regime of Jim Rice, Tony Armas and Dwight Evans.

However, I fell in LOVE with Nomah. I just liked how he played hard every single day. He would run out every grounder, played with reckless abandon in the field and was quiet. Just wanted to play baseball. My wife bought me a Nomah Authentic home jeresy one year for Christmas and I traced the number 5 as my eyes welled up. Yup, huge Nomah fan. I own his rookie card and even an autographed bat. I was so bummed when they traded him. I can't wait until the day he comes back to Fenway. However, now that Baldelli has his number, who knows if he will ever come back here.

For a spell, I chose Nixon as a guy to watch becasue again, he played hard, all the time but he started getting injured and you knew his time was wanning as a Red Sox, so I jumped on the Jason Varitek fan bus. I am not sure what it is about Jason but there is something.

I will and NEVER have liked Alex Rodriguez!! Ever since his days began back in Seattle, there was something about him, I just think he is fake as a player and as a person. Don't get me wrong, I will never argue that he is NOT a sensational ball player but he has those, I am NOT going to give it my all today moments and nothing IS ever his fault. I was not one pulling for A-rod coming to Boston back in 2004. And when he went to the Yankees I quoted, "The Yankees will NEVER win the World Series as long as he is on the team." He is a selfish, me first kind of guy.

But let me be clear, I do as any loyal Sox fan does, "Chant Yankees Suck!" but I say that about Jeter too... however, when I say Jeter Sucks, as much as it pains me, it is with a sign of respect. He never makes the last out when it matters, NEVER! He always plays the game as if its game 7 of the World Series and he conducts himself in such a professional manner.

Okay, so I digress. I think right now, I would probably say Jacoby Ellsbury is my favorite player on the Sox right now. He is so fast, can play all three oufield positions and I am beginning to think he could be something of a shoeless Joe figure in the field where baseballs go to die.

So there you have it. Jacoby is my man for 2009.

No comments:

Followers