Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Blinkers: Why do manufacturers bother?

So, I have decided to join the 21st century and blog. I called my blog Berube's Musings because that is exactly what they are: Musings- myself absorbed in thought. I have a 35 minute commute into work every morning and well, there is plenty of time to contemplate many things.

Today, it is why do manufacturers bother making blinkers?

This morning going down the interstate, not one car mind you, even attempted a half hearted blink while changing lanes, getting off an exit, even right in front of a state trooper. Then, as I am coming into town, I am behind this truck pulling a trailer, not a conventional open trailer but one of those landscaping trailers which is more like an extension of a van or delivery truck, where you really cannot see what's pulling it trailer. Well, they stopped to turn left, and guess what, they didn't use their blinker... matter of fact, they didn't have their trailer lights hooked up. Luckily, I was driving slow enough where it wasn't an issue and I successfully swerved out of the way and continued on to work.

I just don't get it. People swerve all the time in and out of lanes. As a matter of fact, I think that might be part of the road test needed to pass in the state of Massachusetts: to see how many lanes of traffic you can successfully cross over and back without using your blinker. Although, feel free to use your brake lights as a blinker.

The kicker of all this is, you can get fined for not using "your turning signal" when changing lanes or making a left or right hand turn to a tune of $146.00. When you have a state inspection, they check the blinkers.

I wonder in our sad state of economy right now, auto manufacturers cutting thousands of jobs and offering buy-outs to thousands of others - just cut out everything needed to stop the blinker engineering- I mean there is some electrical wiring needed, a separate light cover and bulb. I am just saying maybe we can cut out some of these things that we just don't use. How many millions of cars are out there? In 2005, 247 Million highway cars were counted. Do you think someone was paid to figure that out? Anyhow, 30 Million cars have been produced so far this year. So, let's just say that it costs a minuscule $5 per blinker system, we would have saved $150 Million so far this year and oh $1.2 Billion in 2005. That's a lot of salaried workers.

How bout them Blinkers!!

2 comments:

Kevin Chesley! said...

And what's up with driving slow in the fast lane!?!
Everybody get in the left or middle lane unless you're passing.
Seriously.

If you can promise legislation to come down harder on these blinker-blankers and fast-lane-slowpokes, then you have my vote in the November election.

Santa Claus said...

Your so bitter! :)

Followers